Thursday, October 18, 2012

Chapter 4, Question #1


According to the Boss text, “knowledge is information or experience that we believe to be true and for which we have justification or evidence”. I believe that wisdom is also information or experience you believe to be true, but it’s something you gain over time. We acquire knowledge at college through the classes, but wisdom through the people you meet and the experiences you have. I agree with Aristotle’s belief that wisdom is the greatest virtue; because with wisdom you will be able to analyze a situation and use your past experiences to figure out what the best option is for you. I think that the information age has made us more knowledgeable, but not wiser. The information age provided us with many tools that gave us easy access to knowledge, but it is not able to teach us wisdom. You grow wiser as you get older and more experienced in life, and you learn from the older generations as well from their stories. And when you get older, you will to the same for the younger generations. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Robin,

    I agree with you when you say that the information age has made us more knowledgeable but not wiser. I have also mentioned this in my blog, but I think that Google is taking over our "wisdom". Without Google, I think more people would be wise! Instead, we depend on Google to answer our questions for us and tell us how to think. I can't decide whether Google has helped us or hurt us more, but I think it has done a little bit of both. I also agree that you grow wiser as you get older and more experienced in life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Robin,

    I also agree with you when you say that we are getting more knowledgable and not wiser in this information age. With wisdom, as you said, it is something one gets when one is older and lives through life gaining experience of life's up and downs. I like how you blended college into this whole post. In my post I also wrote that college classes are a place that you learn and gain knowledge from, but living in college, making relationships, learning how to cope and live with life is all such a wisdom gainer. What I liked about your post is how you brought in older generation's stories. I look up to seniors who' have been through hell and back and seen so much in their lives that we will probably never have to encounter. That is a true form a wisdom and I applaud the elderly.

    ReplyDelete