Saturday, September 15, 2012

Chapter 7, Question #1


Reflecting back on the past week, I remember using an inductive argument when debating if I would stay up pass 2am or not. I have work at 9am in the morning. I usually need at least 8 hours of sleep. If I stay up past 2am, I most likely would not wake up in time for work.

Premise (1), I have work at 9am in the morning. Premise (2), I usually need at least 8 hours of sleep. Conclusion, I most likely would not wake up in time for work.

This is an inductive argument, because it is a prediction of what would happen if I were to perform a certain action. It is not based on facts. I think this is a good way of avoiding any risks that would harm your life. In a sense it is sort of like the saying, “better safe, than sorry”. It’s like using cautious reasoning, which I believe is better than rushed reasoning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment