Saturday, September 8, 2012

Chapter 8 Question #1

Because many people do rely on opinion and unsupported assumptions, it is important to use logical reasoning like Sherlock Holmes did in Sliver Blaze. Some times what you think or hear ma not necessarily by true. When Sherlock Holmes states that, "the difficulty, he maintains, is to detach the framework of undeniable fact from the embellishments of hearsay and reports", I think he means that he wants to draw a greater line between fact and opinion. In turn, making it easier to reason logically and solve problems efficiently.
From my experience, it is easier to get things done when you start with the facts and leave behind the opinions and deflectors. It is easy to create an opinion about someone or something from listening to others opinions. For example, there was a time when I have never met this person, but I have heard many things about them, painting this image of who I thought this person was. But when I had the chance to meet them, I realized that the statements I heard about them were actually incorrect and that my initial view of them was false.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Robin,
    I agree with you when you say that it is easier to get things figured out when you start with the facts and leave behind the opinions. It is easy to learn things, like rumors, about another person and assume that they are a certain way. But like you told us with your experience, the person you met turned out to be completely different than how you thought they would be. It is so easy to assume that someone is telling you the truth about another person, but we should take it with a grain of salt and just wait until the real truth comes out!

    ReplyDelete