Saturday, November 3, 2012

Chapter 10, Question #1

After reading chapter 10, I realized that I have encountered many forms of marketing strategies throughout the week. The ones I found to be the most effective was Brand recognition and product placement. There are many times I recognize a specific brand such as Starbucks or McDonald’s just by walking through campus. Even on my way to work I am constantly reminded that these products are available for my to purchase. Because the company’s logos are so famous, I know at a glance where someone got that bag or cup. It catches my attention and gets the message across without even saying anything. The other one I thought was most effective was product placement. I see many different products inserted into my favorite shows and it is hard not to notice what the characters are holding. I think product placement is in your face without trying to be too loud, so the message gets sent to your brain but you may not notice till later on. I like that it’s subtle in a sense and I think it sells the product without you even knowing. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm the same way when it comes to realizing the logos for certain brands/corporations. I think the logos for places like Starbucks and McDonalds are easy to spot because those are two popular places that gain a lot of business. I also agree that the product placement catches my eyes as well in shows. This is because the companies pay the shows to have their logos put into a certain episode, or scene to advertise more. This causes people to have the sense of since the actor(s) eat/drink, or use a certain product/brand, then they should do the same. I know that for me, a few years ago, my friend and I watched "This Christmas" and we saw that one of the actresses had a cute red sweater on from Abercrombie, and after the movie was over, we went to the store to look for it, but they didn't have any in stock. This is a smart way for businesses to gain business.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I can agree with you too for brand recognition. There are many brands out their that are easily recognized out there in public. Putting the brand recognition out there is a smart way of companies or businesses to get their name out there. Since usually if people notice a certain type of brand depending on its status in society whether its known as good or bad people will usually get something from the brand or do the opposite. For product placement I thought that it was not good too. It does not really sway me in any direction to get a business' product just because it is out there on television or in a awesome movie.

    ReplyDelete